- Prospective Members
- Greek Experience
Iowa State fraternities and sororities strive for high scholarship and developing academic excellence among their chapter members. One sign of strong academic ability is a solid grade point average. The Greek Community traditionally maintains a higher G.P.A. than the all-University average.
Chapter Scholarship Programs
Moving from a highly structured high school environment to the freedoms of college can be a challenging adjustment for students. Fraternities and sororities assist in many facets:
- Customized scholarship improvement programs
- Faculty/university advisers (required for each chapter)
- Networking through upperclassmen with knowledge of campus resources such as the library, tutors, computer labs and campus/community study locations
- Scholarship incentive programs
- Study partners
- Test-taking strategies
- Time management workshops
If you are in need of academic support, ask your chapter:
- About tutoring funds that might pay for your individual or small group tutoring sessions.
- If there are scholarships available for you as a member of your chapter through your (inter)national organization or the Iowa State University Foundation.
- For referrals of junior and senior members of your chapter in your same college or major, that might be able to serve as your academic mentor.
Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority
"My sorority has various academic programs that have helped many of the women in my chapter succeed in their studies. We have an academic executive member who is a woman living in the house and she organizes events like study hours or mentors for our members. Mentors are provided within the same areas of study so younger members can gain insight about classes and professors from older members, as well as support on homework and learning. There are also funds in our budget that help pay for Iowa State University tutors if a member is ever in need of one."